Sun Subscriber Website Login



Please wait....
News Story
Updated: 09/26/2012 11:02:03AM

Knights fall to Braves, 20-7

Share this story:


Bok Academy's Jordan Grimes tangles with Lake Gibson's Jake Costine during Saturday's game at Legion Field in Lake Wales between the Bok Knights and Lake Gibson Braves.


Lake Gibson's Noah Johnson trys to out-run Bok's Mark Wimbley only to find Bok's Kasey Maldonado waiting for him at the line where both Bok players take him down.


Bok Academy fights to hold back Lake Gibson in Saturday's game at Legion Field in Lake Wales.


Bok running back Daniel Alverez tries to slip by Lake Gibson's Cristen Smith but is taken down around Bok's 30 yard line by Smith.


Lake Gibson Braves Cristen Smith tries to cut to the outside but gains little in yardage during Saturday's game against Lake Wales.


Pep Squad member Saige Carson poses with Bok Pep Squad Head Coach Kristiana Heath at Saturday's game between Bok Academy and Lake Gibson.


Text Size:

The Bok Academy Knights came up short against the Lake Gibson Braves Saturday night in Lake Wales with the final score 7-20 in favor of the Braves.

After heavy rains the night before at Legion Field, the Knights took the gridiron with showmanship, entering the field through a smoke screen and a cheering Pep Squad.

The Knights kicked-off while the Braves received and defended the North Goal.

The return by the Braves JJ Jones brought the ball all the way into the Knights territory to the 36-yard line.

The Braves stayed on the ground and ran on fourth down to eventually turn the ball over to the Knights at their
30-yard line. The Knights gained only one yard through their next three downs and called time-out on their fourth.

Fielding a punt, Braves Cristen Smith ran the ball back to the Knights territory for the second time to the 30-yard line; far enough to be tackled by the Knights player who punted the ball.

The Braves pushed the ball back to the 19-yard line during a third down to end the quarter with neither team scoring.

The second quarter dealt more of the same to the Knights as they found it hard to get out of their own backyard.

The Braves started the second quarter on fourth down at the Knights 19-yard-line and a later fumble by the Knights turned over the ball to the Braves at the Knights 40-yard-line.

This set up the first goal of the game by the Braves who after a 15-yard penalty were mid-field.

After six plays the Braves were on the Knights’ 1-yard line when Braves quarterback JW Watkins took it in for the score. This left the Braves with a score of six after their attempt for the extra point came up short.

After kick-off, the Knights held the Braves back in their territory to end the first half of the game.

The Braves gained their second goal of the night with 5:41 left in the third quarter but had their attempt at the extra point blocked by the Knights.

The Braves third goal was scored in the fourth quarter with 8:33 remaining.

The Knights finally scored when a fumble by the Braves near their goal was recovered by Knights #55, JT Vaughan and their extra point was good for a score of 7 to the Braves 20.

The Knights battled hard in the game and never gave up. It should be noted that the Braves were the Senior Division of their league and had older and larger players than the Knights.

Knights player Luke Abdalla will most likely be out for the Knights next game with an injured ankle.

The Knights will have their next game at Legion Field on Oct. 2.