Sun Subscriber Website Login



Please wait....
News Story
Updated: 12/27/2011 02:16:15PM

Miners gain their first win of the year

Share this story:


Terrance Morton closes in on Fort Meade's Chris Smith Friday night in the game in Haines City where the Miners were seeking to snap a two-game losing streak.


Chris Morris (4) goes down against the Haines City Hornets as Jamie Willis (2) tries to help in Friday night's game in Haines City.


Haines City's Josh Glanton (24) tackles the Miners Maurice Russell ion first half action Friday ngiht in Haines City.


Maurice Russell (27) makes a block against Mark Inhoof from Haines City as Jamie Willis makes a gain for the Fort Meade Miners Friday night.

Text Size:

The Fort Meade Miners traveled to Haines City to face the Class 7A Hornets hoping to snap a two-game losing streak and break into the win column.

The Miners would take the opening kickoff and drive 85-yards in nine plays that culminated with a 29-yard scoring pass from Jay Smith to DJ Clark. The PAT kick by Jack Cortez was good and the Miners led with 7:26 left in the first quarter.

The Hornets which struggled against the Miners defense would be forced to punt it away and an apparent blocked punt for a touchdown and score by the Miners would be nullified on a Miners penalty but the Miners would get the ball back anyway and three plays later Maurice Russell would scoop a Hornets fumble and return it 13 yards to the Hornets’ 34.

It would take the Miners just four plays as Clark would run it in for a 12-yard scoring jaunt. Cortez was true again and the Miners led 14-0 with 34 seconds left in the first quarter.

The Miners defense would dominate almost the entire second quarter but would suffer a letdown, giving up a 26-yard touchdown pass with 12 seconds left in the first half. The kick was good and the Miners took a 14-7 led into halftime.

Beginning the second half the Miners forced a quick three and out and following the Hornets front began play at their own 45.

In an eight-play drive marred by five penalties, the Miners still got results when Cortez booted a 42-yard field goal. With 5:34 left in the third the Miners expanded their lead to 17-7.

On the ensuing Hornets drive, Haines City would get to the Miners two-yard line but fumbled it away to the Miners.

Fort Meade would give it back to the Hornets with a fumble of their own on first down. Haines City took advantage of that and ran in for a two-yard touchdown. The kick would make it 17-14 with eight seconds left in the third quarter.

The Miners would quickly respond with a 55-yard four-play drive that culminated with a 34-yard scoring dash by Clark. Cortez was true again, giving the Miners a 24-14 lead with 10:33 left in the fourth quarter.

The Hornets made for an exciting finish with an 11-yard touchdown run with two minutes left.

The Hornets then attempted an on-side kick but Jaylen Brown would recover it and the had the ball at their own 48.

Never one for a dull finish the Miners fumbled it back to the Hornets with one minute left.

The Hornets would advance to the Miners 36 only to have Brown intercept a Hornets pass sealing the 24-21 victory for Fort Meade, their first of the season after losing their first two of the year.

The Mainers return home next Friday to host arch-rival Bartow.

Reader Comments (0)

Previous Page | Next Page

Submit your comment below:


* = Required information

Comments that include profanity, personal attacks, or antisocial behavior such as "spamming", "trolling", or any other inappropriate material will be removed from the site. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our terms of use. You are fully responsible for the content you post. All comments must comply with the Terms and Conditions of this site and by submitting comments you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions.